Sonu Nigam speaks to Priyadarshini Paitandy about his musical journey ahead of his show in Chennai on February 26

“If I sing all my hits it’ll take me 12 hours,” says Sonu Nigam ahead of his performance in Chennai. Well, that’s understandable considering he’s spent more than half his life singing. He’s 40 now but has been in the music industry for 22 years.
Sonu moved to Bombay in 1991. “Struggle was the only way to become a singer. There were no reality shows. I used to wait outside peoples’ offices for hours,” Sonu recalls and adds, “You could not become a singer if you didn’t get the sur right. But now, if one has a different voice, he or she can become a singer. Other aspects can be technologically modified.”
There are many singers these days but very few have trained themselves to record a song in one take like Lata Mangeshkar and Asha Bhosle. Today with technology, people can record in multiple layers and takes and over a period of time, he says commenting on the current music scenario. “People who are good in their craft get respected more. I always wanted to become a respected singer…also wanted to be financially secure because I hadn’t seen that kind of money,” says the National award winner.
With his period of struggle way past him, Sonu has been one of Bollywood’s most popular singers, something he had never dreamt of during his initial years. He’s sung for Shah Rukh Khan, Sunny Deol, Abhishek Bachchan, Saif Ali Khan, Hrithik Roshan, Salman Khan and younger actors including Shahid Kapoor, Siddharth, Ranbir Kapoor…the list is exhausting. He is now focussing on independent music. His latest release is a single titled ‘Trini Ladki’. It’s a chutney song. And the singer has been busy with its promotions, which is probably why getting an interview with him took a while. The song with peppy Caribbean beats is also apparently his son Nivan’s current favourite. Yes, the mop-haired kid who became famous with his version of the Kolaveri video.
And who is junior Nigam’s favourite singer? “Nivan listens to a lot of music and is more song-centric than singer-centric. But he loves me a lot,” laughs Sonu, who has collaborated with many international artists like Britney Spears, AVICII and Jermaine Jackson. Up next is a collaboration with Universal Music which he is tight-lipped about.
Having recorded songs in Tamil, Chennai isn’t new to him. Sonu has often visited this city for his recordings with A.R. Rahman and even performed here last year. Being on stage gives him a high as it helps him connect directly with his audience. “Stage shows make you realise how good or bad you are as a singer. I do around 40-50 shows a year.” He’s gearing up for the Klose to My Soul show in the U.S. in April, where he will be accompanied by a 50-member orchestra and apparently, the event will also have a lot of dancing.
What does he have in mind for the concert in Chennai? “I’ll stick to my repertoire. Every show is different. I gauge the pulse of the place when I am backstage and perform accordingly. I’ll entertain a few requests as well,” he says. So, that should include his, as well as our favourites such as ‘Abhi Mujh Main Kahin’, ‘Suraj Hua Madhdham’, ‘Kal Ho Na Ho’ and a few old songs of his role-model Mohammad Rafi we hope!
(The event organised by Olive...The Design Place will be held on February 26 at Sir Mutha Venkatasubba Rao Concert Hall, 7.15 p.m. onwards.)


Most Awaited Films of Three Khans: 'Kick', 'Happy New Year,' 'PK', 'Raes' and Others



Shah Rukh Khan

Bollywood's three iconic Khans - Salman, Shah Rukh and Aamir - have lots of releases set for the near future.
Salman's "Jai Ho" marked the first big release from the Khan clan this year but only managed to do average business, compared to his previous releases.

While Shah Rukh's "Happy New Year" has already created quite a buzz, Salman's upcoming flicks "Kick", "Non Entry Mein Entry", the untitled Sooraj Barjatya film continue to be in the limelight. Adding to this list, is Mr. Perfectionist Aamir's highly anticipated "PK".
Let's take a look at the industry stalwarts' upcoming films:


Shah Rukh Khan

Happy New Year: This multi-starrer was all over the news, even before it started its production work. The film, a heist comedy, features SRK, Deepika Padukone, Abhishek Bachchan and Boman Irani, and is directed by Farah Khan. The first leg of the shoot was completed in Dubai, and the second schedule in India was in the news, after SRK got injured during filming. The film is set to release on October 24.
Raes: Shah Rukh will pair up with Farhan Akhtar for the first time onscreen for Rahul Dholakia's "Raes", where the superstar will essay the role of a bootlegger.  Reportedly, Sonam Kapoor will play the female lead, and the film is to start production from later this year. Tentative release date of "Raes" has been set for 2015 Eid.
Fan: The superstar is to return to the YRF clan with the Maneesh Sharma flick. SRK had confirmed earlier that he will be doing the film. The film's shoot is expected to start from May 2014 but the lead actress has not been confirmed yet.
Untitled Rohit Shetty film: Both the actor and the director has revealed plans to work together again, after their successful collaboration in "Chennai Express".
Salman Khan
Kick: Producer and Salman's close friend Sajid Nadiadwala will make his directorial debut with "Kick", which also stars Jacqueline Fernandez and Randeep Hooda. The film is a remake of the 2009 Telugu superhit of the same name, and has been set for an Eid release this year (27 July).
No Entry Mein Entry: The superstar finally gave the nod to a sequel to his superhit film "No Entry" (2005), after waiting two years. The film will retain the original male cast of Salman, Anil Kapoor and Fardeen Khan. The female lead has not been finalized yet but speculations claim Bipasha Basu will make a return.
Sooraj Barjatya film: Salman will pair up with the maker of some of Bollywood's classic family sagas. The film will go on floors from June this year. Salman is expected to be seen in a double role but the lead actress has not been finalised yet. The film is expected for a Diwali 2015 release.
Kabir Khan film: Salman will reunite with "Ek Tha Tiger" director for a film, which has been slotted for an Eid release next year. If the schedule remains fixed, it might clash with SRK's "Raes".
Prabhu Deva film: After the success of "Wanted", the southern director is eager to do another film with Salman.
Aamir Khan
PK (Peekay): Definitely one of the most awaited films of the year, "PK", directed by Rajkumar Hirani, stars Aamir, Anushka Sharma, Sanjay Dutt and Sushant Singh Rajput. While the plot of the movie has been strictly kept under wraps, Aamir has been snapped donning some weird appearances for the film. The film's release date was continuously postponed, and it now on 25 December.
Sarfarosh 2: The perfectionist is understood to have approached "Sarfarosh" director John Matthew Matthan to script the sequel. The film is still in the pre-production stage.
Unconfirmed project: There are also rumours of Aamir and Farhan starring in a film, which might also have Deepika.




Dance Is My Passion

Friday, February 21, 2014
Rohit Pramar gets talking to Shyam Yadav, Zee TV’s Dance India Dance Season 4 finalist about his journey and his preparations for the finale

India’s biggest ever dance reality show, Zee TV’s Dance India Dance Season 4, announced its Top 4 finalists last weekend– Shyam Yadav of Mumbai, Sumedh Mudgalkar of Pune, Manan Sachdeva of Karnal and Biki Das of Kolkata. Having raced past the rest, the Top 4 are now all set to battle it out tomorrow at 8 PM. We caught up with Shyam Yadav to talk about his preparations.

How did you get into dancing?
I have always loved dancing; it's my passion. I have been training for the last eight years. I wanted to improve my dancing so I joined the Fired Dance Academy. Over the years, I have trained in various styles of dance forms, ranging from hip-hop to Bollywood. I was lucky to get shows and have even worked as a dancer in films.

Which films did you do?
I did many so films as a dancer that it’s tough to recall. But one of my major films was one with Salman Khan. I was surprised when he mentioned my name on the show. It feels nice when your work gets recognised.

Did you expect yourself to reach this far?
Honestly, I had never expected that I would reach this far. But I had put all the hard work I could to get myself to the finale and I have. It feels surreal! 

Who do you think will be your toughest competition in the finale?
I never really compete with others. I am my toughest competitor and I want to give a performance in the finale which is better than my previous one.

What are your preparations?
I am going to add as many elements as possible to make my dance performance entertaining.

Who has been your constant support?
My mom and dad. They have always supported me. And my masters on the show for they've taught me a lot. I also want to thank all those people who have been voting for me.